I don't normally keep track of what I read. But I've come to realize that the less rules I have governing what I read, the narrower my reading palette becomes. I end up reading the same kinds of books, and all at a much slower rate.
This hasn't always been the case. In my teens I consumed what felt like a book a week, and I read widely, experimenting with different genres and authors. In my university years I was forced to read a variety of books at a quick pace and my reading options were dictated by a syllabus.
After university, I found a job and - in reaction to being told what to read for four years - I read what I wanted to read. That didn't quite go as planned, because there was no plan. I gravitated towards my comfort genres, consuming a lot of fantasy books, some sci-fi, and little else. While I don't think there's anything wrong with that, it took me about a year to feel like I was missing something.
It felt like I lacked an essential ingredient in a recipe, or a specific nutrient in my diet. On top of that, I was reading less than I wanted to. Full-time work meant my free time was limited, and every evening I had to choose: read, watch, play, or write. Reading didn't win as frequently as I'd hoped.
That's why I've decided to challenge myself in the coming new year. I'll read 24 books, so approximately 2 books a month. It's slower than my reading frequency in the past, but it's definitely faster than what I've got going now. Furthermore, I'm going to be reading 12 books from authors or genres I don't normally read, paired with 12 that I'd usually read.
And that's the point of this blog. I'll be posting reviews of the books I read, both as a means of keeping track of them and as a way of journaling my self-imposed challenge. I'm honestly not sure how it'll turn out. I might hate it, or it might quell that nagging feeling I've had. Regardless, I'm excited to see how this all turns out.
Oh, and if I feel like it, I might also post about other things too. Retrospective reviews on books I've read in the past, thoughts on games I've played or shows I've watched, and random musings about life and writing. Those are optional though, and wholly dependent on how much I end up enjoying this whole blog thing. Who knows, if I like it enough I might even continue writing after I'm done those 24 books.
See you next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment